CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, November 18, 2011

For what it's worth...

We had a saying at Bress Pawn when I worked there & someone would come in asking to pawn their jewelry for extremely high prices "It's only worth what someone will pay for it."  I believe this principle to be true in all areas of life: particularly relationships.  One must understand that we engage in relationships constantly.  Some of these are fleeting, like the guy driving the car we just passed or the security guard at city hall; others matter.  There is a cost to everything...  there is a price and often we don't know the cost others pay to keep us in their lives.  


Earlier I mentioned that I tend to choose my friendships by active, conscious decision.  Once I've made that decision, I'm all in.  There are a few friends that know how fiercely loyal I can be and how tenaciously I can love...  Many tend to think this is easy, that it is just a personality trait; that would suggest there is no cost involved therefore no worth.  That is qualitatively untrue.  Everything has a cost...  that one can put on a smile & hide a price tag does not negate this truth. 


So...  what, then, IS the cost of love?  Of friendship?  For me, the cost is myself... 


My inclination is to qualify that statement with the how's & why's, however, I realize that will change from person to person so will let it stand bereft of apology...  The cost of love & friendship is self.


Ok, so here is where I start pulling it all together...  we have been talking about the power of my name over my life, remember? 

0 comments: